The secret to great Paella is the Sofrito
Blend altogether to form a paste…
- 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 25 ml sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 ripe tomato
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 shallot sliced
- 1 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp. chives chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
For the Paella
- 1 Cup Arborio or Paella Rice
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- ½ Cup dry white wine
- 1 pinch Saffron or Saffron powder
- 1 Chorizo
- 1 Punnet Cherry Tomatoes.
- 200 gm. Mushrooms
- ½ Spanish onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 50 gm. Butter
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 250 gm. Chicken Thigh pieces
- 2 Green King Prawns per person (leave tails on)
- 12 Fresh Mussels
- 150 gm. Baby Squid (cleaned and skinned)
- 250 gm. Barramundi Pieces
- You will need a heavy based fry pan or a Paella pan with multiple gas rings.
- Seal the chicken pieces in the pan and set aside.
- Slice the Chorizo and sauté in same pan and set aside
- Sauté cherry tomatoes in same pan until the skins crack open and set aside
- Sauté garlic, onion, mushrooms lightly in butter.
- Add rice and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Add stock, Chorizo, Saffron, white wine, the Sofrito, pepper & salt.
- Bring to simmer stirring occasionally.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed into rice.
- Arrange chicken pieces and cherry tomatoes around the pan pressing them into the rice.
- Press Barra pieces, Squid, prawns, and mussels into rice to form a pattern.
- Turn down heat until seafood is cooked and a crust (called Socarrat) is formed on the bottom of the pan.